Happy Monday Friends! Hope you all had a beautiful weekend. 🙂
With the New Year already off to a busy start, I am trying to be more prepared when it comes to meals. Sundays are all about planning and prepping, freeing up extra time during the week.
Tonight’s dish was all about combining simple ingredients that are robust in flavour. At first glance, it looks like it probably takes a lot more time than it does. I promise you, that if you are prepared and know the recipe ahead of time, it is smooth sailing!
I don’t cook with parsnips often but am trying to incorporate them more to keep things interesting. This juicy nutty root veg is rich in healthy properties. From phyto-nutrients, vitamins, minerals and fibre. Plus it’s low in calories, fat, sodium and naturally cholesterol-free. Not to mention, super versatile when it comes to consumption!
Need more convincing? Check out these percent daily values:
Now on to the deliciousness of tonight’s dish. This Parsnip noodle recipe comes from one of my favourite places to be Inspiralized – the definitive resource for cooking with a spiralizer. A few minutes exploring around Ali’s site and you’ll instantly be inspired by her wonderful and beautiful creations. This spiralized parsnips with roasted butternut squash and kale had me dancing in my kitchen with excitement, I was so inspired to give it a try.
Easy to make, this recipe is really 3 simple components + a couple dashes here and there. Basically you just have to roast the squash, spiralize and cook the parsnips and wilt down the kale. Pretty basic steps. From here all you have to do is dress it up! (more details below on that). 🙂
Parsnip Noodles with Roasted Butternut Squash & Kale (yields two servings)
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- himalyan sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 parsnips, peeled and spiralized
- 2 cups chopped kale (curly or laminate)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- crumbled feta to top (optional)
- red pepper flakes, to top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In bowl, toss butternut squash with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Toss to combine and once oven is preheated, lay squash on baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Ten minutes before the squash is done, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the rest of the olive oil. Add in the parsnip noodles and let cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the parsnip noodles to a plate.
- In same skillet, add in the garlic, sauté for a 2 minutes and add in kale. Let cook until wilted, about 5 minutes and then add in the parsnip noodles and toss.
- Divide onto two plates and top with butternut squash, feta (optional) and the red pepper flakes.
Dive in! xx