“You attract what you are.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
And I’m happy to say many of my friends are like minded when it comes to food, lifestyle, interests and health. We spend A LOT of our time exchanging views, best practices, hidden gems and favourite recipes. With that being said, I would be remiss if I didn’t share their best ideas. 🙂
Which leads me to introduce, my friend Kieran Darcy, who I’m thrilled to say will guest blog with some of her favourite dish’s, along with some of her beautiful photography. You’ll quickly notice, her skills are much better than mine (she is a very talented photographer) and gets it right every time. Please check out more of her amazing work here.
Kieran had my mouth watering when she first told me about her Raw Key Lime Pie recipe. And with each week she had a new variation to share and that’s when I knew I had to have her dish about it!
Without further ado, here’s Kieran’s Dish –
A few months ago I decided to make a key lime pie for my dad’s birthday. I don’t know why, but I’m glad I did. I started googling ‘raw key lime pie’ to find something that would suit his celiac & diabetic needs and came upon this. The amazing thing about this recipe is that it’s really just a launching pad for any dessert you want to make. For any of you who don’t like following instructions or baking, this is the dessert for you.
Let’s take a moment and appreciate the fact that the main ingredient in this dessert is cashews. Maybe I’m just ignorant, but I had no idea what they were capable of. Sorry cashews, I underestimated you. Since mastering the key lime pie I have adapted the recipe to make pumpkin, chocolate-orange, chocolate-raspberry, and lemon pies. With the lemon pie I added some Astarte blueberry-lavender preserve to each slice when serving – Sooo good!
This dessert has become a staple for every family gathering and I get to pretend I’m a really great baker when all I’ve done is blended. Easy, healthy, and delicious. I will say that attaining all of the ingredients is a bit pricey but you won’t need to buy them every time. So take this recipe and make whatever you want with it. Cover it in nuts, fruit, add peanut butter, make different flavour layers, increase the crust measurements…Do whatever you want.
Raw Key Lime Pie
- 1 cup dried dates
- ½ cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup whole pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups cashews
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp matcha powder (optional for color only)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Put all the crust ingredients into a food processor, and process until the ingredients can just stick together.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9inch pie dish
- Place all the filling ingredients in your high-speed blender or food processor and blend until the filling is completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling evenly over the pie crust, smooth with a spatula.
- Place the pie in the freezer covered to set for at least 3 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Let the pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes and garnish before serving. I used coconut and lime zest on the Key Lime variation.