A handful of simple ingredients makes for a healthy soup loaded with flavour. This tomato soup is one that you can’t really screw up. I’ve made it time and time again and it always turns out deliciously good! However, I felt my mother was a tad uncertain when I started to wing a recipe in the midst of our organized soup marathon. But to her delight and at no real surprise, I did great and to quote “this is the best tomato soup I’ve ever had”.
Here’s the dish and don’t be too worried about the measurements, you can’t really go wrong when combining these ingredients. The real trick here is roasting cherry tomatoes until they get a bit carmelized but be careful not to burn them.
Roasted Tomato Soup (yields 6-8 servings)
- 6 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 2-4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1-2 cooking onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- handful of basil
- handful of parsley
- 28 oz. can of peeled san marzano tomatoes (plum work well too!)
- 900 ml vegetable broth
- himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle cherry tomatoes with olive oil and roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
- While tomatoes are roasting, heat olive oil on low and sauté onion + garlic until soft.
- Add basil and/or parsley to onion and garlic.
- Add in can of tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes are roasted add to pot + vegetable broth.
- Season with S&P and purée.
- Feel free to add additional broth if needed.
Happy Fall! xx