This black bean soup is quick, healthy, hearty, flavourful and fool proof. Its simple ingredients make it easy to stir up in a matter of minutes- it doesn’t get much better than that. Oh but it does– I mean who doesn’t love some good heat! This soup finishes with a smooth spicy kick, but not to fear, as you can gradually add more or less spice as you please.
Not only is this soup tasty and filling, but black beans offer many health benefits as they are packed with fiber, folate, protein, and numerous vitamins and minerals. Offering digestive tract benefits, blood sugar regulation, benefits to cardiovascular health, and cancer prevention properties. Major incentive to increase your bean intake.
This recipe easily cuts in half or you can freeze the leftovers for those cooler months ahead-I hope you enjoy!
Hearty Black Bean Soup (yields 8 servings)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 x 19 oz. cans black beans, rinsed
- 10 oz. low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 10 oz. water
- 19 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- Cook onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and jalapeño in oil over medium heat in large saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, coriander, and sriracha.
- Place 1 can of beans and broth in blender, blend until pureed. Add to ingredients in saucepan.
- Place second can of beans and water in blender, blend until pureed. Add to ingredients in saucepan.
- Add remaining can of beans and tomatoes to mixture. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with sour cream, guacamole and cilantro. (whatever you prefer!)
Keep it Spicy. xx