With the leaves changing, fall is officially upon us. Each year, I reach for my favourite soup recipes to make and stock up the freezer for those cooler months ahead. There is something truly comforting with being able to cozy up after a long day and enjoy a heart warming soup. This past weekend, my mom and I spent much of our time making different soups, so I am quite stocked for a while now (super thrilled about this!). We made a hearty cabbage soup, a sweet butternut squash soup and a spicy sweet potato corn bisque.
My mom’s recipe for sweet potato corn bisque always ends up being a crowd pleaser. It is sweet, spicy, warm, hearty and creamy-without-the cream! I love making this soup because is so easy to prepare, nutritious and full of flavour. Here’s the dish-
Sweet Potato Corn Bisque
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 ” pieces
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups frozen corn
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil baking sheet. Pour 2 tbsp of the cocnut oil into large bowl. Toss in the sweet potatoes and season with salt & pepper. Transfer to baking sheet and bake until tender, approx 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots. Cook until onion is translucent, approx 3 minutes. Add garlic and spices and stir.
- Add stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add cooked sweet potatoes and corn and continue to cook 10 minutes longer or until corn is tender.
- Puree 1/2 of soup or leave chunky.
- Serve warm or freeze in individual portions for easy meals in the weeks ahead. Yields 6-8 servings.
Get Cozy & Enjoy. xx