A soup in minutes, a soup using pantry staples, a soup that will still wow you with it’s simplicity.
Zuppa di Lenticchie e Pomodori is a beautiful hearty soup made with ingredients you might just have on hand. I always keep canned staples like lentils and plum tomatoes in the pantry to make life easier in those moments when we are crunched for time or looking for something quick and comforting. David Rocco is a culinary expert who lives ‘the dolce vita’, ‘the sweet life’ with being present in moments in life that bring joy. The simple joys. You see this shine through in his books and in his cooking. I think that’s why I love picking up his book to be inspired in the kitchen because you feel this morale in his style and his creations and it leaves you feeling at ease. It reminds me that cooking doesn’t need to be complicated.
So here is one of my favourite go to recipes from Mr. David Rocco. It’s an dish that I just had to share, to make life easier and give you more time to take pleasure in the simple joys of the sweet life.
Lentil & Tomato Soup (yields 2-4 servings)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh chilli peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28oz) peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 can (19oz) lentils, rinsed
- 5- 8 basil leave, chopped
- himalyan sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- water (to reach desired consistency)
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over low-medium heat. Add garlic, parsley and chili peppers and sauté for 5-7 minutes
- Add plum tomatoes and juices from the tin. With the back of a wooden spoon, break up the tomatoes into little chunks
- Add lentils, salt and pepper. Add water and allow to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until the soup has thickened
- Stir in chopped basil and cook for another 5-8 minutes
Vivere la dolce vita. xx