We have eggplants upon eggplants this summer and I have been running out of ideas on what to do with them. I’m not the biggeest eggplant fan and am quite picky with how I like them, which makes it very challenging when you have a crisper full of them in the fridge. Of course I love them smothered in sugo and layered with cheese for a delectable Eggplant Parm, but I can’t eat that every day. Well, maybe I could, but I won’t. 🙂
High in dietary fiber, copper, vitamin B1 + a load of other nutrients, I really want to love this veg and not see them go to waste. I’ve put on my creative hat and dreamt up a batch of Baba Ghanoush and it’s real good! A recipe that’s better for you than what you would find at your local grocer, without all the extra’s, like mayonaise, sour cream, corn starch etc.
Creamy, tangy, savoury and slightly sweet; this recipe makes for a perfectly balanced dip. Simple in it’s ingredients and light on the extras, this dish packs loads of flavour and doesn’t compromise the nutritional value.
- 1-2 eggplants
- 1-2 lemons
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-4 tbsp tahini
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
Optional: fresh herbs or chilli peppers, for some extra flavour.
- Preheat oven to high broil and position a rack at the top of the oven.
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds, sprinkle with sea salt. Drain any excess liquid by placing slices in a colander for 10 minutes. Rinse slightly and pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of Himalayan sea salt.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Flip rounds and roast for another 5-10 minutes. Roast until the eggplant is softened and golden brown.
- Remove from pan, wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
- Peel away the skin of the eggplant and add flesh to a blender/food processor.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with pita and/or pita chips and veggies. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.
Happy Dipping! xx