The Christmas tradition of munching on Nonna’s homemade nuts and bolts pre-dinner is one that I will continue to carry on. This recipe is one that has been around for decades (as you can see in the picture below) and a fan favourite to all. I’m not at all a cereal fan but this combination seasoned and baked to perfection is seriously addicting! Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 🙂
It has always been one of my favourite snacks for the holidays, simply because it’s delicious and of course tradition.Cheerios, Shreddies, peanuts, pretzels and Chex are perfectly combined; however the great thing is you can switch up the ingredients any way you desire and you’ll still come out on top! But let’s be real Chex makes this mix.Simple in its ingredients, this easy snack doesn’t even come close to the party mix you can buy from your local grocer. While plain and simple in its parts, let’s not be fooled, these Nuts & Bolts aren’t exactly healthy. Unfortunately, the boxed and processed cereal are not as wholesome as we hope and the butter component is obviously less than ideal. Even if trying to find a healthier alternative (i.e.- earth balance instead of butter) no pound substitute of anything is that much better. So remember moderation and consider it an indulgence. After all it is the Christmas season.This recipe will stock you for the holiday season and all the parties you may be hosting, but you will also have ample supply to package up and gift to friends, family, co-workers and/or hosts of holiday parties. After all, it is 3+ boxes of cereal combined. 🙂
Nut & Bolts
- 1 box rice CHEX
- 1 box Cheerios
- 1 box Shreddies
- 1 bag Pretzels
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts
- 1 lb unsalted butter, melted (or substitute margarine, earth balance)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine all of the snack mix ingredients in a large pan.
- Melt butter in saucepan on low-medium heat. Add in seasoning ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour slowly over snack mix, stirring as you go, to coat evenly. Continue stirring until snack mix is well coated with seasoning. Bake for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Let cool, then serve or store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
Get Nutty. xx