Anyone who knows me, knows that I would rather put out a spread with a ton of bite sized options, rather than host a coursed meal. For me hors d’oeuvres encourage my creativity and allow me to offer a variety of options to my guests. I love pulling together each element of detail and finishing the look when it comes to the garnish and plating. Plus, putting out a table full of goodies allows me to be a social butterfly the rest of the evening.
When I look at some of my favourite go-to recipes, many to most contain either gluten or dairy. With more restricting diets out there, I started to look for alternative options to appease my friends with sensitive tummy’s. It is important to be cognizant of restrictions or allergens of your guests, when choosing the menu, after all we don’t want any one to starve or feel sick.
This sweet potato recipe is simple, pretty, and delicious. And who doesn’t love sweet potatoes! (see benefits here)
This dish has sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and spices, roasted and topped with a dollop of mashed avocado and topped with tomato and cilantro. These rounds are bright, savoury, and quite filling. Not to mention they look fancy without the work – major plus!
Sweet Potato Rounds
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch thick pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large avocado, pitted
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- sea salt
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toss sweet potatoes, cumin, paprika, olive oil, and sea salt in a bowl until evenly coated
- Spread the sweet potato slices out into a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until crispy
- Mash Avocado with lime juice and sea salt to taste
- Spread the sweet potato slices out on a serving platter or tray. Top each slice with a dollop of smashed avocado, one tomato slice, and a sprig of cilantro